[Samba] convert_string_talloc: Conversion error: Incomplete multibyte sequence

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:32:20 MDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM, TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at monyo.com> wrote:
> From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:07:19 -0400
>
>> My users are having a lot of problems since I upgraded a samba domain
>> member server from samba-3.0.37 to 3.5.X.
>
> (snip)
>
>> In the logs I see a lot of the following errors:
>>
>> [2011/06/20 10:50:14.147340,  3] lib/charcnv.c:645(convert_string_talloc)
>>   convert_string_talloc: Conversion error: Incomplete multibyte sequence(<FB>^?)
>>
>> Are these really errors or should I ignore this?
>
> Have you correctly set "dos charset" and "unix charset" parameter?

here is what I have for charset

WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.
These may not be accessible to some older clients.
(Eg. Windows9x, WindowsMe, and smbclient prior to Samba 3.0.)
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER
        dos charset = CP850
        unix charset = UTF-8
        display charset = LOCALE

> Or have you correcly linked libiconv or iconv with Samba?

I will look into that. This is on gentoo so I did build samba from source.

John