[Samba] Sticky bit problem

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Sun Jun 19 21:19:30 MDT 2011

David Aldrich wrote:
> Hi
>
> We are building a Linux app under Centos 5.3, using gnu make 3.81 and gcc 4.12.  The working directory is on a remote machine and is either a Samba share or a Windows 7 share.  We find that in the case of a Windows 7 share the resulting executable has the sticky bit set in group:
>
> On Windows 7 share:
>
> -rwxrwSrwx 1 <snip> myapp
T is the sticky bit,
S is the SxID bit....

BUT, a cap S, means the execute bit isn't set. so theoretically,
someone in the same group wouldn't be able to access any files or subdirs
but they could, theoretically read the names of the files...

I noticed that a group SGID bit also wasn't passed on in CIFS
when trying to duplicate some bug...