[Samba] quite dramatic and sudden problem...

Alessandro Tinivelli alessandro.tinivelli at monrif.net
Tue Jun 14 12:00:47 MDT 2011

Hi all

I'm running since a couple of years a samba ver 3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2
On a Red Hat 5 with kernel 2.6.18.

Samba is member of a domain, with short name BNNAS03; some shares are
using domain users, some are anonymous, open to a list of IPs.

Suddenly is happening that, from my win7 computer is all ok if I call is
with

\\bnnas03

I see all shares, I can access and so on.

If I call with its IP

\\10.101.40.3

I get the error "no process is at the other end of pipe". Same with many
computers running win 2003 or 2008.

So computers out of domain who were calling it \\10.101.40.3 cannot
access their shares anymore :(

The only recent changing in network is that old win2003 domain
controllers have been replaced by new ones win2008.

Wbinfo -u gets all users and groups regulary

Any idea other that trying to use another security type in samba??

Thank you so much in advance

This is my conf. file

[global]
        workgroup = POL
        realm = POL.DOM
        server string = BNNAS03 (Samba %v)
        security = ADS
        map to guest = Bad Password
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /dev/null
        disable spoolss = Yes
        show add printer wizard = No
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
        winbind cache time = 10
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        winbind nss info = rfc2307

and this is one of my shares (anonymous access)

[gcpavalonanon]
        comment = Condivisione
        path = /storage/samba/GCP/avalon
        force group = gcp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 10.101.37.23, 10.101.37.22, 10.101.37.24,
10.107.59.51, 10.107.59.52, 10.101.1.10