[Samba] Disk free space, quotas and GPFS

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Wed Jun 8 10:15:04 MDT 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 10:11 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:

[SNIP]

> > I am guessing that standard quota calls don't work on GPFS file systems.
>
> Probably true. If you know how GPFS reports quotas we can
> add the code for a later release. We have quota hooks in
> the Samba VFS, so we could add this to the gpfs vfs module.

A couple of hours hacking around and I have a small C program for the
dfree command option that makes various GPFS calls to provide the
information to Samba and it works great with one caveat. That is it does
not appear to be working for home directory shares.

Anyway pretty simple really, as I suspected gpfs_quotactl gets the
information required, though with fileset quotas you need to call
gpfs_fcntl to get the fileset name for the path and then
gpfs_getfilesetid to turn that name into a numerical ID for
gpfs_quotactl.

I would prefer to role this into the GPFS VFS module, but it would be
helpful if there where some pointers somewhere on how the quota hooks in
the Samba VFS layer work. Some example code would be sufficient.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.