[Samba] upgrade prob; extension conflict-workaround or fix yet? (widelinks & unix ext)

Linda Walsh samba at tlinx.org
Sun Jun 5 19:30:31 MDT 2011

I just upgraded my samba to my dist's version:
(3.5.7) and got a message:
01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789

Ishtar smbd[8204]:   Share 'IPC$' has wide links and unix extensions enabled. These parameters are incompatible. Wide links will be disabled for this share.

This used to work, though admittedly, I think it was because I had a 'fixed'
version that removed the check in anticipation of the official switch
that would allow this.

I **WANT** to be able to control my 'widelinks' from my windows
workstation....

My setup is that my 'windows workstation(s)' are divided in 2, with
their file system being on the smb server.  So me being able to manage
links from my windows workstation is an ease of use issue.

It's 'sad' there's no way to define / separate user owned links
from 'system' links...i.e. if the ownership on 'symlinks' wasn't so
hard to change and was able to be used reliably for ones created
by users vs. 'trusted' links created by 'root'....   That would
address (I think) security concerns of this feature...

But in my local case, security isn't a concern, since the
linux-fs/smb-fs IS my windows-fs.  It may not be the standard setup,
but I know I'm not the only one who uses samba this way (from previous
comments when this issue arose the first time).

Perhaps a simple:
    "allow client-managed-links (yes/no)"

could disable this check?  Would you accept a patch?