[Samba] machine trusts connecting to shares

Thomas Spaziani toms at norchemlab.com
Fri Jun 3 19:46:28 MDT 2011

Hi All,

  I am running 3.4.7 on Ubuntu Lucid.  I setup ldap auth in PAM and let
that handle all the authentication with the 2003 AD Server (where the
users groups, ect are stored).  It works great, but one little issue is
driving me nuts. On some users (can't figure out the difference) when
they log into their machine, I see in the Samba logs that the
machine_name_ is trying to connect to the shares. Naturally this fails
as the machine_name_ doesn't have access to their shares, only the user
does.

This is also a problem as my samba will translate some shares like
\\samba\profiles  to /home/%u/profile  and since I don't have home
folders for the machines, they will not exist.

My understanding is that the machine trust accounts should not need to
be created as they are on the AD server already from which I do my
authentication.

This problem also occurs for EVERY user when they try and log in via
Terminal Services.

Any help would be appreciated.

[2011/06/03 17:42:54,  0] smbd/service.c:988(make_connection_snum)
   canonicalize_connect_path failed for service appdata, path
/mnt/filesrv/homes/machine-vm_/AppData
[2011/06/03 17:42:57,  0] smbd/service.c:988(make_connection_snum)
   canonicalize_connect_path failed for service appdata, path
/mnt/filesrv/homes/machine-vm_/AppData
[2011/06/03 17:42:57,  0] smbd/service.c:988(make_connection_snum)
   canonicalize_connect_path failed for service appdata, path
/mnt/filesrv/homes/machine-vm_/AppData
[2011/06/03 17:43:05,  1] smbd/service.c:1240(close_cnum)

Thanks!