[Samba] Samba vs Linux file permissions

Robert W. Smith rwsmith at bislink.net
Fri Jun 3 11:18:51 MDT 2011

>> Quoting John Maher (john at chem.umass.edu):
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I cannot find anything in the documentation or mailing list that
>>> addresses this oddity.
>>>
>>> I've installed Samba Version 3.4.7 on Ubuntu Server 10.04, and I'm
>>> utterly confused by samba's behavior regarding permissions.
>>>
>>> Users on the server have home directories
in /home/chemgroup/username.
>>> (chemgroup is actually a symlink to another volume mounted at
>>> /labs/chemgroup.) Permissions on /lab/chemgroup are:
>>

>> How about looking in logfiles (first with log level to 3)?
>
>Thanks for responding.
>
>I changed log level to 3 and was able to see an NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>error when trying to change the name of a file I just created.

John,

To get back to your issue at hand...Can we see the output of your
logs--the entire delete/rename transactions?

Is this server a PDC, BDC or other? Are there any Windows server part of
this domain? Are you using winbind? What is the output of wbinfo -i
username?

Bob
--bs