[Samba] Samba 4 and gpo in win7

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Jun 3 01:59:07 MDT 2011

Hello Louis,
On 03/06/2011 10:57, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
> in your example
>
>> Accessing sysvol works through: \\ip\sysvol and>\\dc.domain_name\sysvol
> 					^^^^^^^^		  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 					Ipadres		  Hostname.domainname_local
>
>> Doesn´t work through \\domainname\sysvol
> 			^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 			expected here is \\hostname
> 			\\domainname is a no go.
Your email is cryptic at best, what's the sense of your remarks ?
I persists to say that if you have a domain called demo.samba4.corp and
a DC inside called dc1 with IP address 1.2.3.4
The following will work:
* \\1.2.3.4\sysvol
* \\dc1.demo.samba4.corp\sysvol

If you activate the option "host msdfs" in the global section of
smb.conf then the following will work as well:
* \\demo.samba4.corp\sysvol

And that's the way group policy tools (gpmc.msc) stores GPO informations
in the Active Directory Database. Check the example bellow with my
personal domain called home.matws.net.

./bin/ldbsearch -H ~/workspace//samba/homematwsnet/private/sam.ldb -b
"CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net" '(gPCFileSysPath=*)'
gPCFileSysPath
# record 1
dn:
CN={6AC1786C-016F-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
gPCFileSysPath:
\\home.matws.net\sysvol\home.matws.net\Policies\{6AC1786C-016F
  -11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}

# record 2
dn:
CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
gPCFileSysPath:
\\home.matws.net\sysvol\home.matws.net\Policies\{31B2F340-016D
  -11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}

# record 3
dn:
CN={D1A937AB-7413-4E0D-ABF1-CBE9A3730C66},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
gPCFileSysPath:
\\home.matws.net\SysVol\home.matws.net\Policies\{D1A937AB-7413
  -4E0D-ABF1-CBE9A3730C66}

# record 4
dn:
CN={83AC0057-21E3-40E6-97EE-30C1D49498B6},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=home,DC=matws,DC=net
gPCFileSysPath:
\\home.matws.net\SysVol\home.matws.net\Policies\{83AC0057-21E3
  -40E6-97EE-30C1D49498B6}

For those who are interested, windows clients will check if the DC to
which they are connected support DFS, if so client will start a DFS name
resolution protocol to be able to translate \\domainname.tld\sysvol to
\\dcname.domainname.tld\sysvol.

So if the DC support DFS, the client will first send a request to get
all the domain supported by the DC, then client will check if in the
list there is its domain (in a 1 domain forest that's obvious but in a
multidomain forest it can be not so obvious). If so it will ask this DC
for the list of DCs for this domain, the list is sorted by cost so that
the first one are the closest (in the same windows site or in the site
with the smallest connection cost). Client will pick the first DC in the
list and will then ask it for the list of servers that hosts the sysvol
share. The DC will return the list of network path for accessing this
resource.

More details are available to MS-DFSC.pdf.

Matthieu.