[Samba] OS X LION issue with Samba printing

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Fri Jul 29 09:08:20 MDT 2011

A user who upgraded to OS X Lion could no longer add the Samba hosted
printers to his system. In this account the user logon rights are
limited by workstation. Checking the Samba logs showed that OS X Lion
was sending "workstation" as the NetBIOS name instead of the
configured NetBIOS name (same as hostname). The configured hostname is
clearly sent to the DHCP server. Once I allowed that user rights from
workstation "workstation" the printers worked just fine.

I am a bit concerned if the other Mac users (fortunately not too many
- never thought I would say that) upgrade - multiple systems sending
the same NetBIOS name of "workstation" (assuming they will all break
in the same way) may be problematic.