[Samba] samba + inotify

Will Drevo drevo at MIT.EDU
Tue Jul 26 12:28:05 MDT 2011

Hi all,

I am running a Samba share (hosted on my Ubuntu box, shared with Windows and
Mac machines) and wanted to monitor file events. I tried using

   1. inotify
   2. pyinotify
   3. incron

but nothing seems to work. The file events reported on the Samba share are
erratic, repeated (10+ IN_MOVED_TO events thrown for moving files into
folder), and often wrong (throws IN_DELETE events for when files are dragged
in using Mac finder).

does anyone here use file events notification on Samba successfully? What
resources can you point me to? do you have an example of working inotify
config file with this? thank you so much for any advice you can give. My
other options are to periodically inventory the directory with my own script
- to messy and process heavy!

- will