[Samba] How to detect active users

Malte Forkel malte.forkel at berlin.de
Tue Jul 26 10:54:07 MDT 2011

Am 26.07.2011 18:31, schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:06:20AM +0200, Malte Forkel wrote:
>>
>> Currently, I'm not even sure Samba preserves the kind of state
>> information required to detect the usage scenario  I'm interested in. Is
>> there any concept of an "open file" in Windows/Samba, after all? May be
>> it depends on the application used to open the file?
>
> Yes, Samba keeps state on all open files. That's what smbstatus shows.

Well, is it a problem with my Samba configuration then? Or a different
concept of "open"?

I just used SciTE (a text editor) on a Windows 7 PC to open a text file
on the server. When I ran smbstatus immediately after opening the file,
it showed entries for the share(s) and the file itself. When I called
smbstatus again about a minute later and while the editor window was
still open, those entries were gone again.