[Samba] How to detect active users

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:34:25 MDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Pascal Valois <pascal.valois at devinci.fr> wrote:
> Le 25/07/11 22:44, Jeremy Allison a écrit :
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:21:35PM +0200, Malte Forkel wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm running Samba 3.2.5 on a server which I'd like to shut down when it
>>> is not used by any client.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to detect whether any user has opened a file on the
>>> server?
>>
>> smbstatus will tell you.
>
> slight correction,
>
> smbstatus tells you what file are used and by who, currently.
> not who HAS opened a file.

smbstatus will also tell you who has an active connection to what
shares, even if they have yet to actually open some file.

while it's possible for someone to open a file in app that reads to
ram then closes, such as notepad.exe, making edits and letting them
sit without saving for long enough that an smb client would disconnect
the session is unlikely given the "save often" mentality that most
have gotten from using PC's.  From application crashes, to power
outages, to 2 year old kids pressing buttons, save often!