[Samba] Samba 3.4, Windows 7, Roaming profiles and Folder redirection

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Jul 21 18:40:52 MDT 2011

Marc,

Thank you for posting this information.  It would help significantly if
you could also provide Microsoft Knowledgebase references for the
registry changes.

Cheers,
John T.

On 07/21/2011 06:22 PM, Marc Cain wrote:
> Here are the key steps that need to be applied for Windows 7 and
> WinXp
folder redirection in Samba 3.x environments. Feel free to email me off
list if you need any more detail:

> -- For Windows 7 be sure to create a proper default user profile on
the workstation using sysprep. It's crucial to the initial profile creation.

> The first time a user logs onto the domain have a logon script
(vbscript works great for this) do the following:

> -- Copy the applicable folder(s) from the users local profile to
locations on the server that are outside the user's remote profile path;
for instance to a folder in their home directory.

> -- Alter the paths in
"HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell
Folders" to point to these new locations. The most critical folders, and
maybe the only ones you really need to redirect, are Application
Data(AppData) and Desktop, though you can redirect anything that's list
in User Shell Folders including Downloads.

> -- Make sure the workstation's local GroupPolicy is set to not roam
the folders you've redirected. Windows will continue to copy them up and
down from the server's profile folder if you don't set this: User
Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles \Exclude
directories in roaming profile

> - You will want to look at a couple of other settings in the Local
GroupPolicy and tweak to your preferences
> Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles
> User Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles
>
> Here's the path structure we use:
>
> Profile: \\sambaserver\profiles\username\WinXP
> \\sambaserver\profiles\username\WinXP.V2
>
> Redirected: \\sambaserver\homes\username\redirectedfolders\Desktop
> \\sambaserver\homes\username\redirectedfolders\Favorites
> \\sambaserver\homes\username\redirectedfolders\WinXP\AppData
> \\sambaserver\homes\username\redirectedfolders\WinXP.V2\AppData
>
> The first logon can be long depending on network performance and the
number of installed apps, up to a couple of minutes due to the copying
of data from local to remote drives. Subsequent logons should only take
5 to 10 seconds (again depending on network performance) since the
system is only copying a few megabytes worth of data to and from the
profile folder.

> There are a couple of critical timeout issues that may need to be
addressed if you experience long Welcome screens after the initial logon:

> When the following local GPO is left in its default setting Samba
domain logons are delayed for 30 seconds: "Computer
Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Set maximum
wait time for the network if the user has a roaming user profile or
remote home directory." Enable this and set the value to 0 to work
around this timeout.

> A 30 second timeout can occur if you set the local GPO to "Run logon
scripts synchronously". The fix was to apply an old Vista reg setting.
Can be Googled as "Vista Run logon scripts synchronously".