[Samba] Samba 3.4, Windows 7, Roaming profiles and Folder redirection

Tanuki uk uktanuki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 09:07:09 MDT 2011

Hello,
I'm quite new to Samba administration and I've inherited a working samba
setup with roaming profiles however the login and logout times for users has
been growing and I'm starting to think it's time do something about it. I'm
thinking redirect some folders to a samba share on the network will speed up
the login and logout times.

Our setup has 25 Windows 7 workstations and about 10 laptop users(also on
windows 7) all connecting to one Samba server. The laptops are often not on
the main office network so i was planning to use offline file sync for the
network drive i would be redirecing to, is this a bad idea for some reason?

I've had a look around at various documentation and details seem
quite scarce. However all the documentation I've found is targeted at
Windows XP or suggests using domain wide Group Policy Objects (GPO's). My
understanding is that GPO's can only be used if you have a Windows AD server
or Samba 4 however I don't have a Windows server and Samba 4 is abit too
bleeding edge for a production deployment(?).

If anyone can point me to some good documentation it would be really useful,
I would love to see an updated "The Official Samba HOWTO and Reference
Guide" or similar. Thought's comments or insights are also more then
welcome.

Thanks,
Tanuki