[Samba] Windows 7 Can't Join Samba 3.5.4 PDC

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 08:18:27 MDT 2011

On 07/21/2011 09:50 AM, Andrew Niemantsverdriet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When trying to join a windows 7 box to a samba 3.5.4 acting as a PDC I
> am getting an error on the windows 7 box that says
> DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS (the full error log is included at bottom of
> mail). WinXP machines are able to join the domain fine, just not
> windows 7 boxes. My (sanitized) config is located is included at the
> bottom of the mail.
>
> I have tried doing the registry patches to the windows 7 box but am
> not using those right now. The error persists even with the registry
> changes applied.
>
> Can anybody tell me what I need to do to fix this error?
>

> ##############BEGIN CONFIG#######################
>      [global]
>      workgroup = RMC2
>      server string = RMC2
>      netbios name = TOPAZ
>
>      domain logons = yes
>      preferred master = yes
>      domain master = yes
>      local master = yes
>
>      security = user
>      enable privileges = yes
>      server string = Samba Server %v
>      encrypt passwords = Yes
>
>      logon home = \\topaz\%U
>      logon path =
>      logon script = scripts\logon.batw
>      logon drive = H:
>      template shell = /bin/false
>
>      passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://server.example.com/
>      ldap admin dn = uid=Manager,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
>      ldap passwd sync = yes
>      ldap ssl = start_tls
>      ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
>      ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
>      ldap user suffix = ou=People
>      ldap machine suffix = ou=Machines
>
>      wins support = Yes
>      add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
>      lock directory = /var/cache/samba
>      os level = 100
>
>      [netlogon]
>      path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
>      read only = yes
>
> ##############BEGIN ERROR#######################
> The domain name "RMC2" might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the
> case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.
>

> If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then
> the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS
> configuration.
>

> An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV)
> resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller
> (AD DC) for domain "RMC2".
>

> The error was: "No DNS servers configured for local system."
>
> (error code 0x0000267C DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS)
>

> The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.RMC2
>
> Thanks,
I don't think you can have the server and domain have the same name.
Ideally you would have the following
     workgroup= DOMAINNAME
     server string = SERVERNAME
     netbios name = SERVERNAME

And you should have a DNS " A"entry for "servername."

On the samba wiki there are two sets of registry changes.  For Samba
3.5.x you should only need one set-  ie. the following

HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters
     DWORD  DomainCompatibilityMode = 1
     DWORD  DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0

Is your client configured to use the PDC as its WINS server (this can be
assigned via DHCP.)  That should help it find the server.  Otherwise it
may assume that the domain it is looking for is an Active Directory
domain-  thus the DNS query looking for the non-existent "ldap" active
directory server.