[Samba] PDC will create new roaming profiles but fails to load them on subsequent logons

Frank J. Gómez frank+lists at crop-circle.net
Wed Jul 20 13:30:15 MDT 2011

Thanks for the suggestion, Sean, but that didn't work for me.  This config
is what finally did it:

[profiles]
        admin users = @"domainadmins"
        browseable = No
        comment = Users profiles
        create mask = 0600
        csc policy = disable
        directory mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        path = /home/samba/profiles
        profile acls = yes
        read only = no
        writable = yes
        valid users = %U

As you can see, I made a few changes to the profiles share, so I'm not sure
which one actually corrected the problem, but I've got a feeling it was the
introduction of the "valid users" directive which finally allowed me to load
the profiles.

Interestingly, the files in the profile are now owned by root instead of by
the user they belong to, but despite having 600 permissions, users on the
Windows side are able to access and edit them.  Any idea why these aren't
owned by the "proper" user?  Any thoughts as to whether or not this might be
a problem later?

Thanks,
-Frank