[Samba] Integrating samba with existing AD

Robert Freeman-Day presgas at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 07:38:58 MDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 04:44 AM, Thibaut POUZET wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I am currently trying to set-up a samba server in my network in order to
> replace the existing windows samba server. It's been now two weeks that I am
> struggling with a vicious problem, and I cannot see any issue right now.
> Before I loose all my hairs, I am sharing with you this problem : hopefully,
> someone will have a tip for me.
>

> The software involved :
>
> Server Linux CentOS 5.6
>
> Windows 2003 Serveur R2 with working AD and another DNS server working just
> fine.
>
> # rpm -qa | grep samba
>
> samba-3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2
>
> samba-common-3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2
>
> samba-client-3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2
>
> # rpm -qa | grep krb
>
> pam_krb5-2.2.14-18.el5
>
> pam_krb5-2.2.14-18.el5
>
> krb5-libs-1.6.1-55.el5_6.1
>
> krb5-devel-1.6.1-55.el5_6.1
>
> krb5-workstation-1.6.1-55.el5_6.1
>
> krb5-libs-1.6.1-55.el5_6.1
>

> The smb.conf
>
> http://pastebin.com/9iCd1meR
>

> The krb5.conf
>
> http://pastebin.com/nJ2DuBFi
>

> In the nsswich.conf
>
> passwd:     files ldap winbind
>
> shadow:     files ldap
>
> group:      files ldap winbind
>

> The problem (Everything seems to work just fine ):
>
> # kinit -V thibaut
>
> Password for thibaut at WORK-NETWORK.COM:
>
> Authenticated to Kerberos v5
>

> # net join -S pwdsrv -U Thibaut
>
> Thibaut's password:
>
> Using short domain name -- WORK
>
> DNS update failed!
>
> Joined 'smbsrv' to realm 'WORK-NETWORK.COM'
>

> wbinfo -u
>
> wbinfo -g
>
> getent passwd
>
> getent group
>
> => All of them returns all I want (users and groups, with locals for the
> last two commands)
>

> # smbclient -L localhost -U Thibaut
>
> Password:
>
> Domain=[WORK] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2]
>

>         Sharename       Type      Comment
>
>         ---------       ----      -------
>
>         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Server blabla)
>
>         thibaut         Disk      Home Directories
>
> Domain=[WORK] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2]
>

>         Server               Comment
>
>         ---------            -------
>
>         SMBSRV            Serveur blabla
>

>         Workgroup            Master
>
>         ---------            -------
>
>         WORK
>

> . and that's all. The windows clients can connect and see some shares (I
> guess thank's to passthru), for instance I can see my home folder and the
> printers folders, but not the others as with smbclient. Furthermore, Even if
> I can see the roots folders, I cannot parse them : I am prompted a
> login+password form when I try to enter the "Thibaut" folder, for instance.
> I think I am connected as a guest user, but I am not sure of that.

> [...]
I would first migrate from the no longer supported 3.0.x codebase to
something supported by the samba team:

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba3_Release_Planning

I wrote up a quicky migration how-to so that people can move from the
samba packages to RHEL's introduced samba3x packages.  Perhaps that can
help you move over:

https://uisapp2.iu.edu/iukc-prd/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=137093

Robert

- --