[Samba] 3.5.5, ADS mode, user authentication syntax

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 20 03:44:56 MDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 00:09 +0100, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
> Yes the behaviour has changed though the concept of using
> user at domain.com as a username is something I have never come across
> before. It is distinctly un-Windows like and I am astounded it ever worked.

On the contrary, the user at domain style of username is a normal part of a
Windows AD ("user principal name"), for example see

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739093(WS.10).aspx

"In Active Directory, each user account has a UPN based on IETF RFC 822,
Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages. The UPN is
composed of the user logon name and the UPN suffix joined by the @
sign."

Adam