[Samba] unix fifo inaccessible via samba share

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 17:52:35 MDT 2011

Maybe I'm not in the loop, but i'd not be surprised for this to work from a
client with unix extensions, but not windows.  I could very well be wrong
though.

On Jul 19, 2011 5:36 PM, "Charles Redditt" <redcharlie at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, you're telling me this is a feature?
>
> Since it's been working fine on previous versions of smbd,
> I take it that this is a bug that's been fixed?
>
> -charlie
> *
> *FROM Chris Weiss* *cweiss at gmail.com
> <samba%
40lists.samba.org?Subject=Re%3A%20%5BSamba%5D%20unix%20fifo%20inaccessible%20via%20samba%20share&In-Reply-To=%3CCAEhO07OWwZDC_W1Md6DckMzxULKnELfq4hYPV86szYb0PG7%3DzQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>*
> **Tue Jul 19 15:40:19 MDT 2011*
>>smb and cifs, being Windows inventions, have no concept of a unix
>>fifo, there's simply nothing for samba to translate it to/from
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Charles Redditt <redcharlie at
> gmail.com <https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba>> wrote:
>>* Issue: unix fifo (named pipe) does not appear in share, attempts to
read*>* the pipe result in "Access Denied"*>**>* From an XP laptop, I can
open and access my samba share normally. I can*>* read all files and
subdirectories in the share, but a fifo I need to read*>* does not appear at
all. I have made the fifo mode 777 (world readable,*>* writeable,
executeable) and tried other things like setting " follow*>* symlinks = yes
", "unix extensions = no" and "log level = 3", making the*>* fifo name less
than 8 char, but nothing seems to help. If I try to*>* directly read from
the share, from a MSDOS cmdline, with a "type*>* \\server\myshare\mypipe" I
get only an "Access Denied" message.*>**>* I have been able to do this for
years on other machines, specifically one*>* running CentOS 5.5, smb version
3.0.33-3.29.el5_6.2*