[Samba] Integrate Samba with Active Directory

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Tue Jul 19 17:12:22 MDT 2011

Bruno Martins wrote:

[SNIP]

> Good night Robert,
>
> My Domain Controller is running Windows Server 2003 R2 X64, so I may not
> be affected by those bulletins
>
> By the way, thanks for noticing.

Unless I am reading the release notes incorrectly, if you use the
samba3x packages in CentOS 5.6 which gets you 3.5.4 with security
patches as opposed to the plain samba packages which only get you a
hideously old 3.0.x then the NTLM V2 issue goes away as samba supports it.

If you are doing anything with AD and are using CentOS 5.x, then I
cannot stress the value in upgrading to 5.6 and swapping the samba
packages for the samba3x packages. Basically the samba3x packages get
you the same samba as RHEL/CentOS 6, which makes shifting your file
servers to CentOS 6 in due course much easier.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.