[Samba] Folder redirection and "guest user (from session setup) not permitted to access this share" in logs

Ander Punnar ander.punnar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 11:14:31 MDT 2011

> [2011/06/08 15:17:57.268946, 2]
> smbd/service.c:587(create_connection_server_info)
> guest user (from session setup) not permitted to access this share
> (some.user)

When user tries to write to network drive (map network drive in windows) or
> \\server\some.user share, everything is okay.
> But!
> We have Desktop and My Documents redirected to network drive and making new
> files/folders to desktop and my documents fails and logs will be filled
> with lines mentioned before.

No error message from Windows side, not even event logs - just files doesn't
> show up.
> Editing existing files seems to okay. Testing with smbclient is ok.
> Some PC-s can write new files after 1-2 second lag, but with same error
> in logs.

After weeks of sambanuss (local sysadmin slang, means debugging) and
playing around with different configurations... I found (ugly) solution to
my problem.

I added "guest ok = yes" to global section of smb.conf and all was well
again.

Meanwhile, in logs:
somerandompc (172.xx.xx.xx) connect to service usershare initially as user
nobody (uid=65534, gid=65534) (pid 30586)

But perms/owner/etc are correct. Also I didn't find any security
implications related to "guest user = ok" .
I can live with that.

Someday, if I'm feeling better, I'll submit a ticket to bugzilla.

Have a nice summer.

~a