[Samba] How to disable password caching in windows client

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:40:23 MDT 2011

On 07/19/2011 06:38 AM, Yu Liao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to input user name and password every time I access the share, so I
> want to disable password caching in windows client. I google to find there
> is a way to modify the windows registry. But it does not work on windows
> 2003. Is there another way to disable password caching in winXP, win7, 2003
> and 2008?
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network\DisablePwdCaching
> = 1
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network\DisablePwdCaching
> = 1

If you run gpedit.msc or secpol.msc
      Security Settings - > Local Policies -> Security Option->
Interactive Logons: Number of Previous Logons to cache:
     Default value  is 10.
     If you change it to 0 it should NOT cache any logons.  That is the
theory-  I haven't tested it tho.

There should be a corresponding registry entry.