[Samba] [idx-smbldap-tools ] smbldap-tools and joining workstation to domain RESOLVED

Tim Herty pragmatiker at gmx.de
Fri Jul 15 02:20:05 MDT 2011

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The issue with not beeing able to join workstations to our Samba 3 domain
without manually adding the Samba attributes to the LDAP directory with LAM
has been a pain in the butt for months now. I found dozens of threads on the
net
started by Admins with the same problem and none of those threads ended in
really resolving
the issue.

I have been updating Samba, fidelling with the smbldap-tools and pulling my
hair to no avail.

Finally I found this post from 2005 that resolved my issue.

I tested with :~#getent passwd  an it only listed my users.
I added a line for my computers in /etc/libnss-ldap.conf an changed it from:

nss_base_passwd ou=users,dc=test,dc=de?one
nss_base_shadow ou=users,dc=test,dc=de?one
nss_base_group  ou=groups,dc=test,dc=de?one

to:

nss_base_passwd ou=users,dc=test,dc=de?one
nss_base_passwd ou=computers,dc=test,dc=de?one
nss_base_shadow ou=users,dc=test,dc=de?one
nss_base_group  ou=groups,dc=test,dc=de?one

Now everything works just fine.