[Samba] samba outside of LAN

Christ Schlacta lists at aarcane.org
Thu Jul 14 21:41:03 MDT 2011

what's the server IP?  if you're "not in the LAN", then you're probably
behind a NAT firewall, which will result in failure unfortunately.  you
can use a VPN if you're needing to do this often, or if you just need
some files, you're probabyl better off just setting up ssh on your samba
server and using winscp to connect (forward port 22 on your router).
smb/cifs (what samba uses to communicate across the LAN) is NOT meant to
be used across the internet, as it's not secure.  Many ISPs filter the
ports that samba uses, and in general, exposing yourself to this kind of
massive security breach is a bad idea.  the ssh+winscp idea is secure
and simple to actually use.  you're far better off with it.  if you
Absolutely need access to files in smb mode, then you should considder
setting up strongswan as an ipsec server, but that's an EXTREME undertaking.