[Samba] PDC + BDC + Roaming Profiles

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 08:01:37 MDT 2011

On 07/14/2011 03:53 AM, J. Echter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a LDAP Master / Slave setup, but my roaming profiles are lying
> on the PDC.
>
> Whats the best method to keep the profiles in sync? Or should i use
> another FileServer for the profiles?
>
> what do i have to check in smb.conf for having profiles on a different
> machine? do i also need to move the netlogon dir?
>
> cheers
>
> juergen

Caveat-  I don't currently  use roaming profiles.   I believe however
that a user will only have one network directory for his or her roaming
profile.    Roaming profiles will sync between the user's current PC and
the server, but not server-to-server.

According to man pdbedit you can set the profile for each user.

         Profile Path:   \\BERSERKER\profile

Man page for smb.conf shows

         logon path = \\PROFILESERVER\PROFILE\%U

I am guessing that the "per user" settings overrides the server default
if you did not want all the roaming profiles on a single server.    You
may not want profiles on your PDC if you want to minimize network
traffic or disk usage.

Each DC must have a netlogon directory.  The member servers do not.
You do need to make sure the login scripts are the same on each DC.