[Samba] Windows Administrator Rights

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Tue Jul 12 07:32:37 MDT 2011

From: Thomas Harvey <tom.harvey at onefinestay.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 13:41:24 +0100

> When doing
> windows administration tasks, installing software, changing
> settings, I need to authenticate as an admin user. Currently, I need
> to enter the local admin user and password. This is becoming a bit
> of a bind, can I have a centrally stored (in the LDAP with everyone
> else) admin user. I have tried the Domain Admin samba group to no
> avail, I guess I want a Windows admin as opposed to a Domain admin.

" Domain Admins" global group automatically becomes a member of
"Administrators" local group of each client if "Domain Admins" already
exists.

Is your "Domain Admins" global group joined to Administrators local
group of each client? And is your "admin" user (a domain user) already
joined to the "Domain Admins" global group?

"Domain Admins" global group is enouch to your purpose, I think.

Instead, you can join your "admin" user to Administrators local group
of each client then "admin" user will do administration tasks.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>