[Samba] Active Directory failover problem with winbind

Gilles Paquet gilles at paquet.net
Tue Jul 12 01:06:59 MDT 2011

Hello,

I have configured a Nagios server to be part of a Windows 2003 domain.

The Linux server is RedHat 5.3 with winbind version 3.0.22. The
configuration is using kerberos and pam with winbind to support
Windows user and local account.

Everything is working fine until we test the active directory failover.

The system is still accessible through domain account but it's very
slow and the nagios pages are also extremely slow. Like 10 to 15
seconds to display a page.

When I use net ads info, I see that the failover is occurring rather
quickly to the secondary AD. All my Windows servers are failing over
without any problem.

The user used by nagios is local (not in the AD) but when I look at
the winbind log I see the following all the time:
-----
[2011/07/11 18:08:54, 3] nsswitch/winbindd_group.c:winbindd_getgroups(1273)
 [21838]: getgroups nagios
-----

>From my point of view, it's not supposed to do that. As nagios is a
local user, winbind should not check nagios groups, right?

When we restore the first AD, it immediately runs fine. When we
completely stops winbind, after few minutes the system is also running
normally with few latency.

The way we test the AD failover is in switching off the network
interface on the primary AD.

The krb5.conf looks like this:

----
[realms]
DOMAIN.COM = {
 kdc = IP_AD_1
 kdc = IP_AD_2
 default_domain = DOMAIN.COM
}
-----
The rest is default.

In the smb.conf, we have defined the following for the AD:
---
 security = ads
 workgroup = DOMAIN
 realm = DOMAIN.COM
 password server =  IP_AD_1, IP_AD_2
---

The rest is also pretty much default.

The system-auth in the pam.d is like that:
-------------------
auth        required      pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    pam_unix.so nullok
auth        sufficient    pam_winbind.so try_first_pass
auth        required      pam_deny.so
auth        required      pam_tally2.so deny=3 onerr=fail unlock_time=60

account     required      pam_unix.so
account     sufficient    pam_succeed_if.so uid < 500 quiet
account     sufficient    pam_winbind.so
account     required      pam_permit.so
account     required      pam_tally2.so

password    sufficient    pam_unix.so md5 shadow nullok use_authtok remember=10
password    sufficient    pam_winbind.so try_first_pass
password    required      pam_deny.so

session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0077
session     required      pam_unix.so
session     sufficient    pam_winbind.so
session     optional      pam_keyinit.so revoke
session     required      pam_limits.so

We don't use any shares on this server, only winbind for authentication.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake somewhere.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Gilles.