[Samba] Samba and Active Directory 2008

Keith kceleslie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 08:09:02 MDT 2011

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting samba working with a
Windows 2008 domain? I've got mine working for the most part except for UID
lookups. I've got identity management for unix installed on on the windows
box and have several users configured with custom home directories, login
shell, and UID on the Unix attributes tab. My samba server is joined to the
domain, wbinfo -u and -g both provide a list of users and groups. When i run
getent passwd i get a list of local users and domain users. With the domain
users it pulls the home directory and login shell just fine from active
directory, but i cant get it to pull the UID.

I've got it setup and working using RID, which is ok, but we would rather
get it working with the UID. I'm using samba version 3.5.4 and here is a
copy of the global settings

workgroup=test
realm=pizza.com
security=ads
password server = password-server.pizza.com
idmap uid = 10000 - 20000
idmap guid = 10000 - 20000
idmap backend = rid:pizza.com=10000-20000
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind refresh tickets = yes
client use spnego = yes