[Samba] Server String - getting, viewing with Linux

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Fri Jul 8 22:12:36 MDT 2011

From: Alex <alex at ourwoods.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 14:11:54 -0400

> Is there any way to get the server string to show on Linux?  It'd be
> nice to see it in Nautilus, but I know I'll have to ask them.  If there
> were a Samba utility that would retrieve it, that would do for now.

Try "smbclient -L".

Here shows an example. "lenny32-4 server" is the server string.

$ smbclient -L localhost -U%
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (lenny32-4 server)
        share4          Disk
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.2.5]

        Server               Comment
        LENNY32-4            lenny32-4 server

        Workgroup            Master
        HOME                 MELROSE