[Samba] Upgrading from 3.0.37 to 3.5.9

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:20:39 MDT 2011

I upgraded a while ago.  I believe with samba 3.0.x from sun that the
executables are in /usr/sfw and that configuration and account info  is
in /etc/samba.  You will also have database files in /var/samba

You should run "testparm -v " to see the location of configuration files
and directories.

You MUST back these up!

I think 3.5.x will also look for smb.conf in /etc/samba by default.
You can explicitly define paths if need be.   Once you upgrade you
should run "testparm -v" before starting samba to which which paths have
changed.

I don't believe you will have any issue with TDB files.    I am using an
LDAP backend so the user accounts weren't in TDB anyway.   Other
databases (e.g. idmap caches)  were,   If you do have problems you could
probably use the old pdbedit to export to text, and the new pdbedit to
import back to TDB.

You may need to explicitly define a local unix "nobody" account to map
as the guest account

     e.g.
     useradd   .... smbnobody
     vi smb.conf
      guest account = smb_nobody

There may have been changes on how password policies function (e.g
maximum  password age etc.)