[Samba] WINS + BDC Problem

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 07:44:38 MDT 2011

A WINS client  (be it Windows server, PDC, BDC , Samba server, XP client
etc) will register itself with the WINS server.  The WINS Server will
register itself.    Since Samba 3.x does not replicate WINS data, a
machine registered with one WINS server may have trouble locating
machines registered with  another WINS servers-  at least when browsing
in the network places.

I believe that WINS will also be used to locate the "browser" machines-
which track which file and printer shares are located on which machines.

If you are in a small/medium network (50 machines or under?)  you should
be able to use a single WINS server.      My experience is that things
work the best when the PDC is the WINS server.