[Samba] basic LDAP authentication to Samba share from existin g directory

Brent Busby brent at jfi.uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 1 03:07:52 MDT 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Sean Boran wrote:

> Would it be thinkable that users change their password8s) via  web
> interface, such as *phpldapadmin*?

I suppose you could.  Password-changing wasn't really the main problem I
was having, but you can certainly set it up to do that.  It's probably
simple enough if that's all you want, that you could write the scripts
yourself.

> The Windows tool LdapAdmin can change both passwords at once, but its not
> suitable for end users.
> Newer versions of phpldapadmion do it too, but I've not yet checked to see
> if the GUI is usable for end users..

If anything, I'm finding that newer versions of phpLdapAdmin are getting
more user-hostile even for sysadmins.  When I create a new Posix
account, it doesn't even create LDAP objects for shadowAccount (to mimic
/etc/shadow) like older versions used to automatically, and that's
needed just to have enough there to let the user login.  I now have to
manually make the shadowAccount object every time I create an account.
Makes me wonder about opening an application that's moving in this
direction to end-users...probably would be better to make your own
password changing script.

--
+ Brent A. Busby	 +	The New JFI Computing Web Site:
+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +	http://jficomputing.uchicago.edu/
+ James Franck Institute +	email:	sysadmin at jfi.uchicago.edu