[Samba] win98se logon

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Fri Jul 1 03:17:02 MDT 2011

Jeff Savastano wrote:
> hope someone can help me out with this.   out of the blue all of my
> win98
> machines (4 of them) cant access my domain.  I know they should be
> upgraded to a
> XP, but the app that we use on them only runs on 98.  the error i get
> on logon
> is:
>
> the domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your
> logon server
> has been denied.
>
> at first i was thinking that it was the win98 machine, only one of them
> was
> having a problem, but they all now have the problem.  this problem
> first started
> on monday.  i finally got the machine to logon on after i dleted all of
> the
> network info and reinstalled.  but the next day the same problem, and
> the
> reinstall didnt work.
>

> does any one have any ideas
>
> smb.conf
>
> [global]
>  workgroup = COZY
>  netbios name = COZY_SRV
>  server string = Cozy Samba Server
>  passdb backend = tdbsam
>  security = user
>  client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>  wins support = Yes
>  wins proxy = No
>  lanman auth = yes
>  ntlm auth = Yes
>

>  add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
>  delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
>  add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
>  delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
>  add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G %g %u
>  add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null  -g
> machines
> %u
>

>  # The following specifies the default logon script
>  # Per user logon scripts can be specified in the user
>  # account using pdbedit logon script = logon.bat
>  # This sets the default profile path.
>  # Set per user paths with pdbedit
>  logon drive = H:
>  logon script = logon.bat
>  domain logons = Yes
>  os level = 35
>  preferred master = Yes
>  domain master = Yes
>  logon path =
>   logon home =
>
> [homes]
>  comment = Home Directories
>  valid users = %S
>  read only = No
> [netlogon]
>  comment = Network Logon Service
>  path = /data/scripts
> # path = /var/lib/samba/netlogons/scripts
>  browseable = No
>  read only = No
> # For profiles to work, create a user directory under the
> # path shown.
> # mkdir -p /var/lib/samba/profiles/john
> [Profiles]
>  comment = Roaming Profile Share
> [...]

You'll be _really_ lucky to get Win98 support these days.  What version of
Samba, on what Operating System?  Something must have changed.  Has anything
on the server been upgraded, adjusted or modified (even a small change that
"couldn't possibly" affect Samba)?  Did the workstations get an any sort of
update?  Things to check:

  - Has Samba crashed on the server?
  - "nmblookup -M -- -" and "nmblookup -A <server-ip>" on the server
  - "smbclient -NL <server-ip>"
  - Physical network connection (Can you ping server from workstation and
vice versa?)
  - Firewalls
  - Name resolution (including Windows' hosts files)
  - If these machines are accessible from the Internet, have they been
hacked?

Hope that gives you some pointers.

Moray.
“To err is human; to purr, feline.”