[Samba] Windows 7/Samba unable to log in via name, works by IP

Alberto Moreno portsbsd at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:56:43 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 8:21 AM, Berni Elbourn
<berni at elbournb.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
> On 25/01/11 20:58, Jay Coleman wrote:
>
>> So far, we've tried:
>> smb ports = 139
>> changing windows 7 Network security settings (LAN Manager authentication
>> level and Minimum session security)
>> added the auth lines to the smb.conf
>> valid users = %S
>>

> Try this:
>
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7
> --

I had follow the wiki about windows 7 settings and never have issue
with samba 3.3.x on Centos 5.5 with LDAP.

My smb.conf is this one:

        workgroup = MYDOMAIN
        server string = PDC Domain
        netbios name = MYDOMAINPDC
        hosts allow = 192.168.2. 192.168.1. 127.
        interfaces = eth0 lo
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        hosts deny = 0.0.0.0
        smb ports = 139 445
        remote announce = 192.168.2.255
#     windows 98 clients.
#        lanman auth = Yes
#       client lanman auth = Yes
# passwd backend
        encrypt passwords = yes
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1/
        enable privileges = yes
        pam password change= Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %nn
*ReType*new*UNIX*password* %nn *
passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        unix password sync = Yes

# Log options
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 500
        syslog = 1

# Name resolution
        name resolve order = wins bcast hosts lmhost

# misc
        timeserver = No
        use sendfile = yes

# Dos-Attribute
        map hidden = No
        map system = No
        map archive = No
        map read only = No
        store dos attributes = Yes
        Map to Guest = Bad User

# printers - configured to use CUPS and automatically load them
        load printers = No
        printcap name =

# printing =
        cups options =
        show add printer wizard = No
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-userdel %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m %u %g
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x %u %g
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g %g %u
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w %u

# LDAP-iConfiguration
#ldap delete dn = Yes
        ldap ssl = off
        ldap passwd sync = Yes
        ldap suffix = dc=mydomain,dc=local
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap user suffix = ou=Users
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap idmap suffix = ou=Idmap
        ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=mydomain,dc=local
        idmap backend = ldap:ldap://127.0.0.1
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000

# logon options
        logon script =
        logon path =
        logon path =
        logon home =
        logon drive =

# setting up as domain controller
        username map = /etc/samba/usermap
        preferred master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
#     for bdc's
#     wins server = 192.168.2.10
        winbind nested groups = Yes
        ea support = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        local master = Yes
        map acl inherit = Yes
        unix charset = UTF8
        case sensitive = No

About your IP settings, looks likes u are using other wins server, who is:

WINS_SERVER, in my case this server is the wins server for my domain,
If I remember the manual say that if setup a PDC, your better use it
as Wins server and try to avoid using other wins servers.

The other serves even if they are fighting to be the master browsers,
if u windows 7 machine has your PDC as wins server he wouldn't contact
the other servers.

The win2k8/2k are AD right? If they are, win7 haven't been add to
those domains right?

Once your wins servers is running, your clients must be able u ping by name.

In my case, my dhcp assign the wins ip and done.

Hope this help u!!!

--
LIving the dream...