[Samba] Samba hangs the boot on Gentoo.

tms3 at tms3.com tms3 at tms3.com
Sat Jan 22 07:50:01 MST 2011

>> Hello,
>>
>> Today I came across with the problem with booting my Gentoo system.
>> Yesterday I installed samba and when I turned on my notebook today it
>> stops
>> booting at starting up the samba daemon. It goes until:
>>

>>> * samba -> start: smbd ...

I had some difficulties a few years back with Samba/LDAP nssldap,
pam_ldap and pam. The system would hang for some 10 minutes at
startup. The problem was that nssldap defaults to  bind_policy hard,
and as nssldap fired before the ldap server started (from the nssldap
conf file):
# Reconnect policy: hard (default) will retry connecting to
# the software with exponential backoff, soft will fail
# immediately.

changing the value to
bind_policy soft

rectified the situation.