[Samba] Problems with a trust relation between samba and sambadifferent subnet

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Fri Jan 21 16:25:49 MST 2011

> MUST use the same WINS server for trusts to work.

Do you mean you must actually use a WINS service, or just a working DNS
service?

It's been a couple of years now, but while I was taking classes on SBS Server
at the local Microsoft offices, their instructors were telling the class to
remove WINS, and only use their dns service.

WINS was Microsoft's very early attempt at creating a dns service back when it
shipped NT 3.5. It has issues. It offers nothing over a modern dns service.

And you don't have to use Microsoft's dns service - it can be any dns service
you want on your lan.

I've set up Windows Servers for several types of businesses and clinics over
the years, and none of them have missed WINS.