[Samba] fetch passwords from AD and group membership from /etc/group

marius klausen mariusklausen at gmx.net
Fri Jan 21 03:54:41 MST 2011

Hi Takahashi,

> While you need not run winbindd if you want to use Active Directory
> for authentication, if you need to run, idmap_nss map help you?

i want to use winbind to be able to log in just by providing the accountname, not domainname\accountname.

i now added the following to my smb.conf:

idmap domains = MYDOMAIN
idmap uid = 6000-61000
idmap gid = 100-3000
idmap config MYDOMAIN: backend = nss

which does not change anything so far (smb+winbind restarted). The uid/gid ranges cover values which are given to the account in /etc/passwd /etc/group - maybe that is wrong?

best regard,

Marius