[Samba] samba 3.5.6 - ''smbclient -U% -Llocalhost' results in error - using hostname works fine, new feature?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jan 14 22:10:42 MST 2011

On 12/18/2010 09:02 PM, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> Am Samstag 18 Dezember 2010, 22:04:34 schrieb David C. Rankin:
>> Guys,
>>
>> 	I have probably missed an announcement or overlooked something in a changelog,
>> but I just want to confirm what I'm seeing is expected behavior. I run samba in
>> standalone mode and I have always checked operation with
>>
>> smbclient -U% -Llocalhost
>>
>> 	Now the faithful command returns an error:
>>
>> Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> 	So what say the experts? New security feature?
>>

> The returned error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME just says, that for
> some reason(s) "localhost" is not a known network name anymore.
>
> Have you looked at your smb.conf option setting of  "name resolve order = ..."
> The default is:
>   name resolve order = lmhosts wins host bcast

Thanks Günter -- you nailed it -- but I still don't understand why???

23:02 providence:~> smbclient -U% -Llocalhost
Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
23:02 providence:~> grep resolv /etc/samba/smb.conf
  name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
23:03 providence:~> sudo vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
23:05 providence:~> grep resolv /etc/samba/smb.conf
  name resolve order = host wins lmhosts bcast
23:05 providence:~> sudo /etc/rc.d/samba restart
:: Stopping Samba Server   [DONE]
:: Starting Samba Server   [DONE]
23:05 providence:~> smbclient -U% -Llocalhost
Domain=[RLFPLLC] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        samba           Disk      Base Samba Share
        print$          Disk
        pdf-gen         Printer   PDF Generator (only valid users)

Son-of-a-.......

	That's amazing. I've been using 'name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast' since
2.0.2 and never run into this issue. What could have changed? Dunno, but it is
simple enough to add host back to name resolve order.

Thank you sir :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC