[Samba] ubuntu doesn't daemonize smbd

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Wed Jan 12 23:38:17 MST 2011

Quoting Chris Smith (smb_77 at chrissmith.org):

> And I have seen reported instances of Samba issues on Ubuntu being
> resolved by avoiding the distro packages and compiling from source.

Hmmm, could be interesting to learn about which ones. Since 2-3 years,
we made great efforts in Debian to avoid changing the behaviour of
samba in our packages wrt upstream behaviour. Several code patches
have been discussed with upstream, often integrated and sometimes
abandoned.

As a consequence, I would say that I don't see reasons for the
behaviour of samba in Debian or Ubuntu packages to be different from
samba compiled from sources.

Of course, assuming you're comparing the same upstream version.

So, if there are such issues, the packagers might be highly interested
to learn about them (the best being bug reports in the distro's bug
tracker). I think the same also stands for packages in rpm-based distros.