[Samba] Samba migration to a new server

Henri Brouchoud henri.brouchoud at cirad.fr
Wed Jan 12 22:33:58 MST 2011

Hi Helmut

Thanks for your answer.

I have done a similar test some weeks ago without success. The client I
tested have lost the Domain membership but I am not sure it was shutdown at
the moment I switched from old to new server.
In your case, has your new server a different DNS Name , IP address and
netbios name from the old one ?

Actually, if there are only a few clients that have to be manually rejoinded
to the domain, it could be acceptable. The *ABSOLUTE* condition is that
every users keep their windows profile (so their Domain SID I guess) once
the switch has occurred.

Thanks again.

Henri