[Samba] Samba/Winbind Question

Dan Burkland dannyburkland at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 07:10:15 MST 2011

Hello all,

I am upgrading some clients on my network to the RHEL 5.5 versions of the
Samba/Winbind packages (samba3x-3.3.8-0.52) and have a few questions
regarding them. I just upgraded my AD domain controller to the 2008
functional level thus requiring an upgrade of the Samba/Winbind clients so I
revisited the configurations I had previously made. I have everything
working however I have noticed when I boot a RHEL client or restart the
Samba & Winbind services (in that order) I get a bunch of log entries in
/var/log/messages like the following:

Jan 11 08:04:27 mn4s34052 winbindd[10980]:   ERROR: Initialization failed
for alloc backend, deferred!

I then started wondering if I really need the Samba Or NMB services running
anymore at all so I disabled both and authentication still continued to work
just fine (with no entries like the one above appearing in
/var/log/messages). If I am just using the Authentication & ID mapping
features of Winbind can the Samba & NMB services be disabled?

Thank you