[Samba] reducing smbd memory footprint

Matt LaPlante mattl at google.com
Mon Jan 10 13:21:16 MST 2011

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 5:49 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-12-24 at 09:17 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Matt LaPlante <mattl at google.com> wrote:
> > > I'm currently compiling Samba 3.3.X with the following:
> > >
> > > CFLAGS = -g -Wall -O2
> > >
> > > ./configure --cache-file=./config.cache \
> > >                --with-fhs \
> > >                --enable-shared \
> > >                --prefix=/usr \
> > >                --sysconfdir=/etc \
> > >                --libdir=/usr/lib/samba \
> > >                --with-privatedir=/etc/samba \
> > >                --with-piddir=/var/run/samba \
> > >                --localstatedir=/var \
> > >                --with-rootsbindir=/sbin \
> > >                --with-syslog \
> > >                --with-utmp \
> > >                --with-readline \
> > >                --with-libsmbclient \
> > >                --with-winbind \
> > >
> > >  --with-shared-modules=idmap_rid,idmap_ad,idmap_adex,idmap_hash \
> > >                --without-automount \
> > >                --with-ldap \
> > >                --with-ads \
> > >                --without-smbmount \
> > >                --without-dnsupdate \
> > >                --without-libtalloc \
> > >                --without-libtdb \
> > >                --without-libnetapi \
> > >                --with-modulesdir=/usr/lib/samba \
> > >                --datarootdir=/usr/share \
> > >                --with-lockdir=/var/run/samba  \
> > >                --disable-avahi \
> > >                --disable-swat \
> > >                --with-cifsmount \
> > >                --without-acl-support \
> > >                --without-quotas
> > >
> > > The resulting smbd is about 6663656 in size.  I'd love to be able to
> whittle
> > > this down more to stretch my system resource usage.  Does anyone have
> > > recommendations for alterations that would reduce the ultimate size of
> the
> > > running process?
> >
> > Turn off the "-g" option and run "strip" on it, and look up those
> > options and tools.
>
> This won't help anything except the on-disk size, as those pages are
> only mapped in by the debugger in the case that they are needed.
>
> Otherwise, they just stay on disk.
>
> It may help to explain what you are trying to do, and why the current
> size is a problem.

Very simply, trying to sustain as many user connections as possible on
systems with limited memory allocated, and on which smbd processes consume
the majority of existing resources.

> Also, never versions of Samba may be better, there
> is a general effort to make Samba's per-connection overhead lower where
> possible, driven by the high-end requirements of big clustered Samba
> installations.

This is the longer-term goal for sure; unfortunately known issues in the
current versions are preventing an upgrade at the moment.