[Samba] IIS Change Notifications

Gareth Evans agrath at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 03:22:09 MST 2011

Hello Volker,

Thanks for your quick responses so far;

I've captured the following:
Log & Capture from kernel notify off, 3.5.6; (hires timestamp, normal
daemon, log level 10)
Log & Capture from kernel notify on, 3.5.6, (hires timestamp, normal daemon,
log level 10)
Wireshark Capture from using windows 7 machine as fileshare (no log since
you can't get one from windows)

All captures&logs were from IIS7 as the SMB client, but there's probably a
few standard windows refreshes and the like there, since I was starting and
stopping the samba server, I had to refresh the explorer windows a few times
to ensure the smbd had started before testing IIS;

If you would like traces from just standalone ReadDirectoryChangesW; let me
know - though it's almost 11:30pm so i'll be away for a few hours soon.

You can download the traces zipped here; 60mb (not sure why the wireshark
traces were so large, but i captured them with the tshark command from the
link you provided)

http://agrath.mole.feralhosting.com/traces.zip

The changes (to fire the notifications) were "triggered" by copying
red/green/blue dlls into the test/bin folder, which should cause IIS to
reload the appdomain
using a cp command on a ssh session and for the windows server, I used a
command prompt copy command (to eliminate the GUI messing it up by doing
something strange like forcing the notification to get fired or similar)

Gareth