[Samba] samba acl support

suresh.kandukuru at emc.com suresh.kandukuru at emc.com
Thu Jan 6 21:52:46 MST 2011

Thanks this helps.

-Suresh

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces at lists.samba.org [mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of Jeremy Allison
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2011 10:10 AM
To: Kandukuru, Suresh
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org; jra at samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] samba acl support

On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 10:58:27PM -0500, suresh.kandukuru at emc.com wrote:
> Hi jeremey , This is Suresh from EMC . what is minimum version of samba which got ACL ( posix) support?. it looks to me samba 3.0.32 also got that ACL support.
>
> Can you please confirm on this?.

Oh yes, we've had POSIX ACL support for a *long*
time. I can't remember exactly what the earliest
version was (probably a 2.2.x version).

However we've been slowly getting better over
the years in doing the ACL mapping, culminating
with the extra Windows ACL layer stored in EA's
we now have that provides a 100% Windows compatible
protocol response to the client, but then is mapped
onto POSIX ACLs for filesystems that can't store
native (or NFSv4) ACLs.

Jeremy.