[Samba] samba and the Internet discussion

Wed Jan 5 08:36:18 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 09:32:05AM -0600, Hoover, Tony wrote:
> If you trust EVERYONE on the internet, yes you could use Samba on the
> internet without using a VPN.  Since everyone on the internet is not
> trustworthy, it is not a wise idea.

Well, I'd put it a bit differently (I do know some
trustworthy people active "on the internet"), but you're
right: You definitely want a VPN to tunnel Samba traffic.
The Samba/smbclient specific in-band transport encryption
unfortunately made it anywhere else so far.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9