[Samba] Killed HP LJ4000 envelope feeder upgrading Ubuntu 9.04 --> 10.04 LTS

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Tue Jan 4 06:47:46 MST 2011

Greetings,

Already when the server was on Ubuntu 9.04, my Ubuntu workstation was having difficulties printing to the printer via a Samba connection. For example, Mozilla Thunderbird could print, but Firefox
print jobs got lost to lala land. I found how to do a direct CUPS on the workstation to CUPS on the server connection, and that cleared all of the trouble up.

So I thought to see if I could to the same from Windows XP. Turns out MS calls that "Internet Printing". So after the sample of my printer connection form my Linux machine, I made three connection to
the CUPS queues, used the same drivers I recently re-published to Samba, and the Envelope Feeder again works properly.

This is very disappointing that, well I have been working with Samba since 3.0.2 and printing works better in that ancient version than current versions.

I would think that Samba merely acts as a Spooler for Windows clients. Obviously not!

At least we have a cumbersome work-around to be able to get work done.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems