[Samba] authentication using both ADS and smbpasswd

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Tue Jan 4 06:36:22 MST 2011

2011/1/4 Smith, Cathy <cathy.smith at pnl.gov>:
> My Samba configuration uses ADS for user authentication.  I have a request to grant users access who are not members of ADS.  Is it possible to set up both smbpasswd and ADS authentication?

If you specify a user like Samba-Server\User style, then the user will
be authenticated
by the Samba server itself.

After Samba 3.4.0, if you specify a user like (simple) User style,
the user will be authenticated by Samba server itself.

Before Samba 3.3.X,

auth methods = guest sam winbind:ntdomain sam_ignoredomain

or

auth method = guest sam_ignoredomain winbind:ntdomain

may help you.

Former means that
 1st Guest authentication works.
 2nd the user is specified with Samba-Server\User style, then he is
authenticated
  by Samba Server,
  3rd the user is authenticated by Windows domain as DOMAIN\User,
regardless of the user's domain part.
  4th the user is authenticated by Samba Server as Samba-Server\User,
regardless of the user's domain part.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>