[Samba] winbind and group permissions

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Mon Jan 3 20:50:52 MST 2011

Gaiseric,
thank you sooo much for the reply....
I will make comments inline:

On Mon, 2011-01-03 at 20:06 -0500, Gaiseric Vandal wrote:
> Winbind is used for allowing unix things like file system access, getent
> passwd and getent group to handle windows users (windows users and groups
> get unix uid's and gid's allocated.)

To say this another way; getent maps users/groups and their respective
uids/gids/sids, winbind is what determines if those uids/gids have
permission to do what is being requested?

>     I don't use winbind to login to a
> unix system as a windows user but I do use it to allow the unix file system
> on a samba server to handle file perms for windows users.  Winbind would
> have nothing to do with subnet issues.

So wbinfo commands are not affected by working across a vpn...

> WINS (Windows Internet Naming Service, or something like that) is really
> useful for having a windows client (e.g. an  XP machine) find a Windows
> server (a Samba server or a real Windows server)-   this is really useful
> when subnet issues are involved, and actually a WINS server should be a
> standard item even on a local network.

Understood and agreed, I always enable wins server even on the simplest
samba installs.

>     Depending on your VPN, your
> "remote" client may have a virtual NIC on the "office" LAN.

The VPN is an openswan site-to-site tunnel.  I have just spent the last
hour or two checking, double-checking, re-double-checking,
triple-checking, and re-triple-checking that everything is in order.
All traffic from several different protocols are travelling in both
directions without restriction.  I never say never with networks and
computers, but I am quite certain this is not the problem.

> The big problem I found with Samba member servers and winbind was that the
> "Windows" user on a member server might have a unix uid or gid that is not
> consistent with the PDC or other member servers.   But this doesn't seem to
> be your problem.

As I understand it, having a map be consistent across multiple samba
servers is required in the case of BDCs and PDCs, where a BDC may be
required to authorize a user on behalf of the PDC.  In that case, the
BDC must have the same info as the PDC else a user may end up with
different access to different files depending on which member server it
connects too.  I also understand it to be that using ldap will nicely
work around this problem.
In my case, there is only one PDC, and my member server is purely a
client that is not going to share anything, so as I understand it, that
is not a concern here.

> Can you post your smb.conf section for the idmap settings?

Very gladly, and anything else you think might be useful to look at:

This is from the PDC (debian - samba=3.5.6):
;winbind
idmap backend = tdb
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
;winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind cache time = 300
template homedir =
template shell = /bin/false

This is from the DMC (ubuntu - samba=3.4.7):

;Workstation Settings
idmap backend = tdb
idmap uid = 15000-20000
idmap gid = 15000-20000
wins server = 192.168.150.10
;winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind enum users = yes
password server = 192.168.150.10
template shell = /bin/bash
template homedir = /home/%D/%U

Some notes: I did have it set up more like your file at first, using
idmap config instead of idmap alloc.  Two days ago I read every line of
the man page, and set it up without the idmap config, and instead used
the plain idmap parameters.  It seemed to me that this was a better
implementation of the 'Keep It Simple' principle.
I read a post that suggested that if the uid and gid idmap were not "all
encompassing" enough that groups and users would not get displayed.  I
have increased the range and moved the winbind_cache.tdb and
idmap_cache.tdb to create new ones, but no joy.
I have commented the default domain directive so as to tell what whether
wbinfo -u is returning a local user or a domain user.
as far as I know all other winbind settings are default values.
I can make the rest of the file available and other stuff as well.

> The syntax for
> samba 3.0.x, 3.2.x, 3.3.x, and 3.4.x varies.   The docs on samba.org may not
> be current so you should check man pages for idmap_tdb etc.   Some versions
> may let you spec "idmap uid =xxxx-yyyy " and "idmap gid =xxxx-yyyy"
>

> I have the following entry (samba 3.4.x with LDAP backend)-
>
> idmap alloc backend = ldap
> idmap alloc config:ldap_url = ldap://ldapserver1.mydomain.com
> idmap alloc config:ldap_base_dn = ou=alloc,ou=idmap,o=mydomain.com
> idmap alloc config:ldap_user_dn = cn=xxxxxx
> idmap alloc config:range = 50000 - 79999
>

> I have some issues with getting new id's allocated, but it  you have users
> working but not groups , at least winbind allocation is generally working.

I spent a considerable amount of time investigating the possibility of
wiping all the group allocations that exist so far on the server and
trying to make it rebuild them all from the ground up. things like net
cache flush and net groupmap cleanup did not make an apparent
difference.  I would think that removing the correct tdb file would make
that happen, however, all of my experimentation in that area led to
making the situation worse.  Given that this is a production environment
and re-adding all the machines to the domain is not an option, I am
pretty nervous playing on this path.

Speaking of removing tdb files, many posts suggested the just deleting
them all and starting over fixes problems just like this one.  however,
as stated already, I am worried that the consequences of such actions
would hurt me more than no action at all.

Another thing that occurred to me is that perhaps I need to manually
create some group mappings, but I am still investigating what is
supposed to be there vs what is there vs what isn't there.

Thank you again for having a look at this, I cannot express enough
gratitude for having a bit of help on this...