[Samba] Samba failover causes different UID's

Caspar Smit c.smit at truebit.nl
Mon Feb 28 03:21:41 MST 2011

Hi,

I have two machines in a cluster and want to create a high available samba
share that connects to active directory for user information. The storage is
DRBD and the filesystem is XFS.

I'm using pacemaker as cluster software and using the lsb:samba init script.

I connected both machines to my Windows AD server and tested this using
winbind.

winbind -u gives me all AD users which seems fine. This works on both
machines so everything looks ok.

When I connect from a windows client to the samba share I don't need to
enter credentials so that looks fine too. When I start to put some files on
the share the correct credentials are used when I check with "ls -al" on the
mountpoint in linux. So far so good.

BUT when I do a failover to the other node the share is up but suddenly I
cannot connect from the windows client anymore without entering credentials
and when I check with "ls -al" on the mountpoint on the other machine it
maps the existing files (which I put there when the share was running on the
other node) suddenly with whole different UID's.

Where is the mapping of UID's taking place and how can I fix this? Both
systems lookup their user information from the same AD server, how can they
still lookup different UID's when looking at the same server and files?

Kind regards,

Caspar Smit