[Samba] Access to a share resource without password

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Fri Feb 25 12:52:24 MST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 2:15 PM, J. L. Cabral <jelocabral at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) The Linux local user "guest" must be added to samba with "smbpasswd
> -a guest" ???

In the example I show their is no local 'nix user named "guest". The
purpose of the username map file is to map the Windows "guest"
user/account to the 'nix "nobody" user/account - this (nobody) is
typically, in the distros I have run across, the 'nix default guest
account (no login privileges necessary).

> 2) The Windows XP desktops must have a guest account enable named
> "guest", or it can be named "Invited" or "Invitado" (Spanish Windows
> version) ???

No reason whatsoever to enable the guest account on the Windows box.

> 3) What owner and group must have the share /var/share ???

Whatever you want that allows the proper access.

Don't over complicate it, it's pretty straight forward.